Ownership of the HB Ranch was transferred to the Kansas State University Foundation in 1994 by the estate of Caroline Hearting Beason and Mace Virgil Beason. This ranch consists of 1,760 acres located in southeast Trego County adjacent to the Trego-Ness County line on highway 147. The land is partitioned into cropland ( 568 acres) and native rangeland (1142 acres). The donor's stipulated that this gift be held together and operated as a working ranch and that the name "HB" be perpetuated. The origin and significance of the name derives from the first letters of Caroline's maiden name, Hearting, and the name, Beason.
Kansas State University and the Agricultural Research Centers-Hays are grateful for this generous gift and the opportunity to use it for forage-based livestock production systems research and education in memory of Caroline and Mace Beason. The current vision is to use this resource for native range-complementary forage research because the juxtaposition of cropland and rangeland make the logistics ideal.